Sunday, July 16, 2006

It Came From Within!

Book CoverIf you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you’re probably aware of my experiences since moving from the loving, friendly state of Texas to the desert-life state of Arizona. Yes, I’ve suffered some anger and hurt feelings because of people who should’ve held themselves to a higher standard, but my reaction is what God really is more interested in from me, so when I was out in Southern California visiting an awesome, loving church one weekend, I ran across a book in their bookstore that caught my eye. After flipping through it, I realized that I’d still been holding on to those past hurts (if I’d had my friends from Dallas around, they would’ve lovingly wopped me upside my head with that information much sooner). Of course, any Christian inspiration book found in a church bookstore that features a 1950’s-era movie poster featuring a Godzilla-sized dinosaur rampaging after a person would’ve caught anyone’s attention.

If you haven’t had a chance to check out Andy Stanley’s new book, It Came From Within, I suggest you do so. With sections titled Creature Features, The Creatures Walk Among Us, Destroy All Monsters!, and We Haven’t Seen the Last of Them, you’d think the book was misclassified, but once you get into the chapters and realize the monsters he’s talking about are monsters of the heart, you’ll quickly be able to relate. Of course, the tie-ins to classic monster movies is, well, classic, but the movie quotes and comparisons make such difficult-to-discuss topics such as guilt, anger, greed, and jealousy easy to relate to.

No comments: