I always enjoy a good lunch at P.F. Chang’s, and one of my favorite dishes is their Kung Pao Chicken. Most people ignore the chili peppers that come on the plate, but I see them as one of the treats of ordering the dish. I have a slightly broken upper molar on the right side of my mouth, and there’s a place where my gums are slightly exposed. When I bite into a fire roasted chili pepper and let it’s juice flow over my teeth, gums, and tongue, you just can’t describe the incredible reaction that comes from that experience.I once read that chili peppers are spicy because their juice is a mild poison, but like The Dread Pirate Roberts with respect to iocaine powder, one can build up an immunity and even a healthy taste for the fruit of the chili. No, I don’t enter any chili pepper or jalapeno eating contests; those are won by people who swallow the peppers whole. To truly enjoy such a delight, you must bite into it and chew, and swallowing one whole just doesn’t do the job. And to really enjoy the flavor of a chili pepper, a glass of Berenger White Zinfandel to wash it down is my choice (I also keep a glass of water nearby just in case).
To finish off a Chinese meal, there’s also the fortune cookie. I don’t subscribe to any belief in such things, but I do enjoy reading what’s inside. I’ve had my fair share of predictive writings as well as merely wise sayings. Today, however, I found a very intriguing insert in my cookie:
You do not have to worry about your future.And how true is that! As a Christ-follower, I know that my future is secured by the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross. I know that I’ll have trials while here on earth, but I know that when this life is over, I’ll spend all eternity with my Heavenly Father in Heaven along with those who have also put their trust in Christ.
Some days can really be stressful and others can be pleasant, but we know that if we’ve put our trust in God, we do not have to worry about our future! In the meantime, we should live for Him, serve Him, enjoy what He’s given us, and learn from our experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment