Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Ragged Edge with Ted Dekker and Friends


BEHOLD THE DREAMER COMETH from blaine hogan on Vimeo.

During the weekend of August 12-13, 2011, I attended New York Times Bestselling Author Ted Dekker’s Ragged Edge writer’s seminar in Franklin, TN. Along with Ted, authors Tosca Lee, Robert Liparulo, Eric Wilson, and Steven James shared their particular journeys in writing, what it’s taken to get to where they are now.  None of the stories were rosy (I can’t share actual details), which is why it was called The Ragged Edge.  The comment was made, “Boy, maybe the life of a writer is NOT all it’s cracked up to be, and if you can do something else, maybe you should!”

Anyone who’s been writing long enough might also have similar stories, but since I’d say over half the people in attendance were in their 20’s or early 30’s, a lot of eyes were probably opened.  The biggest thing I got personally from their stories is that I’m not alone in these struggles; we’ve all experienced them at one time or another to varying degrees.

There were also talks about craft and practical ways to push through difficult writing tasks, and we heard from Ted Dekker’s management firm, Creative Trust, located in Nashville, TN.  All who attended had an opportunity to submit finished manuscripts to the firm, and everyone received a free autographed copy of each author’s book…well, we got TWO books from Tosca Lee, since one was her recent collaborative work with Ted Dekker:
  • Forbidden by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee
  • Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee
  • The 13th Tribe by Robert Liparulo (this was an AARC)
  • One Step Away by Eric Wilson
  • The Bishop by Steven James

One thing mentioned is that only a very small minority of writers ever finish their stories, so those who finish have a huge advantage over all authors.  This was summed up with words of wisdom from Yoda, as channeled by Creative Trust’s Kevin Kaiser, “Do or do not. There is no try.”

And because of the small number permitted for the conference (around 100), it was a lot easier to have time to talk with each author.  Me, I just tried to have a pre-morning-coffee talk with Ted Dekker in the elevator at our mutual hotel on Saturday morning; I actually didn’t realize it was him until he looked at my badge around my neck (LOL)…I was very tired!

No comments: