When it comes to the women I‘ve been talking about that are members of this singles group, you can tell that each one has an incredibly convoluted view of reality. However, there is one woman I met that was guilty only of asking some very weird questions and wanted to discuss topics that I felt were very off the wall. That woman was Dani Gehemevort (not her real name).
Although I’d like to give some of the women in this group the benefit of the doubt, it’s very possible that even Dani also had quite an imagination, but, to her credit, all she ever did was ask questions that, at worst, seemed designed to evoke controversy or provoke a reaction; of course, it’s possible she never learned how to be good at small talk.
The last time I talked with Dani was the one time that sticks out to me the most. After a large group of us had finished dinner at a local restaurant, I went to the movies with Dani and another girl. No one else was interested in going, probably because it was getting late, although we did ask a number of people, but I was definitely in the mood to see a movie, and I figured there’d be no misinterpreting the event as a date (I wasn’t romantically interested in either woman, and by this time, I was beginning to be aware of how unsafe the women in this group were).
The movie we went to see was In Good Company, the one with Dennis Quaid being demoted and getting a boss young enough to be his son (his new boss eventually starts dating Quaid’s daughter in the movie, which was a bit weird, but I digress). It was a very good movie, and I guess the other women enjoyed it, too. When we left the theater, I wanted to be the gentleman, so I asked where the women had parked. The other woman had parked in a very well-lit area but Dani had parked in a much darker section of the parking lot, so I walked Dani to her car and kept an eye out for the other woman until she got in her car.
On the walk to Dani’s car, she brought up one of the weirdest topics one could ever imagine. “You know, I’ve been taking Tae Kwan Do lately,” said Dani, “and I bet I could lay you out flat with what I’ve learned.”
Okay, I thought, that’s weird. But not knowing what else to say and since I viewed Dani as a bit of a tomboy, I responded the way I would’ve if a male friend had said the same thing. “Oh, I bet you couldn’t hurt me that much. I’m quite a bit more resilient than I look.” Actually, I’m 6 feet tall and do some light weightlifting and look like a stockier version of Vin Diesel, so I know I look quite resilient, but I figured she’d take it as a joke.
“Well, if I had a Taser, I bet I could stun you and you’d be flopping around on the ground,” countered Dani.
Okay, where was this coming from? Why would someone bring up such topics so out of the blue? Instead of letting it lie, though, I responded once again with male bravado, “Oh, I bet I could take quite a bit of punishment.”
By that time, we reached her car, so I bid her good night, watched her get in her car, and walked back to my car. On the drive home, I started reflecting on Dani’s topic of conversation and began wondering if she was trying to be defensive, based on some imaginary threat. I later asked some other friends, and they also said they had no idea why Dani would bring up such a weird topic; since these friends knew me fairly well, they couldn’t imagine someone viewing me as a threat.
As I said earlier, Dani has brought up some other far-fetched topics in the past, but I felt that if she was going to imply she felt unsafe with me when I was doing her a favor, then she really didn’t deserve my company, so I’ve classified her with the other women who don’t have a solid grip on reality.
Since that night, I haven’t talked with Dani and don’t plan on it.
Sunday, March 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment